Player evaluations for the 2023 spring season will be held the first weekend of March at Delridge Playfield. All Mustang and Bronco players must participate in one of the one-hour sessions in order to be assigned to a team.
- Bronco (12U): Saturday, March 4th, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Mustang (10U): Sunday, March 5th, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Often (erroneously) called “tryouts,” our player evaluations often raise a lot of questions for parents of players going through them, especially if it’s their first time.
What is the purpose of these “evaluations”?
How do the evaluations help provide evenly matched teams?
What happens at player evaluations?
Each player is given an opportunity to show their abilities in a small handful of baseball activities over the course of an hour. Participants will be asked to:
- Field fly balls to right field and throw to third base;
- Field grounders at shortstop and make throws to first base;
- Hit up to eight balls into play, running to second base on their final hit.
Players are not asked to pitch as part of the evaluation process.
Division coaches observe all players, taking into account as much as they can based on the limited repetitions each player has to show their abilities.
What should my player bring to evaluations?
- Clothing appropriate for baseball activity and weather (often sweatshirts and baseball pants);
- Non-metal baseball cleats;
- Baseball cap (important for shielding sun while fielding balls!);
- Baseball bat (must meet USA Baseball bat standard);
- Batting helmet;
- Baseball glove.
Please also assure your player has their own water bottle to stay hydrated and any other equipment they typically use to be successful at playing baseball (batting gloves, extra pads, knee braces, etc.).
Most importantly, remind them to HAVE FUN! The evaluations are not “tryouts,” in that every player will be on a roster regardless of how they perform. Enthusiasm can be just as impressive as making solid contact in batting practice!